Claims of Perjury

Under the Internal Revenue Code (IRC) the crime of perjury can charged as either a misdemeanor or felony offense. A misdemeanor conviction under 26 USC Section 7207 can result in up to a $1,000 fine and imprisonment for up to 1 year or both. A felony conviction under USC Section 7206 (1) can bring a fine as high as $5,000 and imprisonment up to three years or both. If you have been accused of committing perjury during a tax audit or during any communication with an IRS representative or special agent you will need experienced and aggressive legal representation to protect your rights. You should speak to 37 year veteran tax audit attorney Andrew Gordon at Gordon Law Group.

The IRS is very committed to getting as high a percentage of convictions as possible. Even if the actual charges or offenses found are relatively minor when a case goes to Tax Court the IRS can amplify what should be a misdemeanor offense to a felony perjury charge that can result in prison time. Whatever type of perjury charges you face, you must have a well-trained and competent tax audit lawyer to advise and represent you. If I represent you, I will handle every aspect of your case personally. Every letter or document is prepared and submitted by me on your behalf.

Ordinarily, the felony charge for perjury is brought when a person has made or signed a statement that contains a sworn or written declaration that such statements are made under the penalties of perjury. Under tax laws this includes the submission of any document such as a tax return, affidavit or financial record that the individual knows is false or misleading. The IRS will sometimes urge the U. S. Attorney to file additional felony charges under the general perjury statute 1621 in addition to the IRS 1706 charges. I understand the methods and extreme measures the IRS will sometime resort to in their efforts to get a felony, not just a misdemeanor conviction. I am prepared to vigorously defend you against such charges and help you resolve whatever legal issues you may face. Call my offices for a personal consultation to discuss your case.